Wednesday, October 27, 2010

it's been almost 2 weeks ...

since I removed the dvds from the livingroom and put the library books in their place. The first week was a bit tough with Elizabeth asking for a movie every day. Also every time I did her hair she asked for "PBS kids" (which we watch on our computer). I told her we weren't going to watch a movie every day anymore and so when the asking would start again I would sit on the couch with the kids and pull out a book. We've read SO many books over this past week. First of all I am absolutely amazed at the attention span of my 2 year old. We've been reading books for the 4 - 5 year old level and he has no problem sitting there the whole time. They will sit there for 20 - 30 minutes at a time just listening to me read! One would think that with all this reading my house would be messier than before ... the funny thing is that it's not any worse than when I when we were watching anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours of a dvd per day. After talking to my friend Carrie about this I realized that unlike watching a dvd Ellie and Josiah are interacting with me the whole time we read together. They are getting an extra dose of love that they cannot get with a movie.

We watched a movie on Friday night together (well most of it was together) and since then they have only asked to watch a movie once. Even yesterday when I was doing Ellie's hair she didn't ask to watch anything ... she just played with her toys at the table along with Josiah.

It has been a wonderful transition for us all!

No comments: