Monday, May 17, 2010

Lessons learned

This evening I had to run out to Trader's right before dinner so when I got home I was in quite a rush to get the meal made so we could eat "on time". Ellie really wanted to help and Jo just wanted to be wherever she was. Initially I let them help but then I got annoyed b/c it wasn't going fast enough and shooed them out of the kitchen. Josiah didn't care but poor Ellie went away crying, "mom, you told me I could help". I was just so frustrated and at that moment I heard the Lord saying to me, "Tara, she just wants to spend time with you ... push her away now and she won't want anything to do w/ you when you want it" ... ouch! I did NOT want to hear that - and I told him so but I knew I needed to draw her back in and take the time to include her in what I was doing. In the end it was amazing. Both Josiah and Ellie ended the evening thinking that they had made dinner and that ended up being very beneficial because this is a soup they normally don't eat - and they both wolfed it down! They were so proud of themselves for helping to make dinner. In Josiah's words, "mommy, you're a good cook ... Ellie, you're a good cook".

So glad that I listened to God and let my children mess up my orderly life!

"People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them."
Mark 10:13 - 16

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...I needed this today! Yesterday I prayed for patience with them before I got up and we had a wonderful day...b/c of my attitude! But today..not so good so far...I have been VERY impatient...while swallowing milk at breakfast Kaelin asked me a questions and I didn't answer...I had a mouthful! By the time I had swallowed, she'd asked me the question 3 times! And I was irritated...then I got impatient/frustrated again when I was trying to do her hair and Kiley was crawling around getting into things...and I blew my top (and then felt VERy guilty)...not sure why somedays I have infinite patience and other days none...and then I feel so bad.