Friday, August 28, 2009

CTRL + ALT + DELETE

That is what last week was for. I needed to clear my brain and just be a mommy w/ out the internet distractions! It went very well. I noticed the most clarity on Monday and felt like I was more "in tune" w/ my kids throughout the week. I didn't have a perfect week, of course, because I am human (surprise!) and media is not to blame for me being short w/ the kids, snapping at my husband or not doing the dishes! There were, however, three main things that I took away from the week.

#1: I am not that important that everyone is waiting around for my next status update on facebook or waiting around for my next blog to be published.

#2: Everyone else is not that important that I need to know what is going on in their lives minute - by - minute.

#3: My children are the most important thing (besides God & my husband) going on in my life right now. They are what I need to focus on and anything (not just media) that gets in the way of that needs to be "put in it's place" from time to time!

I also decided from this experience to limit my facebook time (ie: not be on EVERY day) and to limit the kids movies to one a day and none on the weekends. So far I've been doing good! If it gets out of hand I'll just take a week off again!

4 comments:

Xeandra said...

That's what I learned too! We just stopped paying for internet, though and now we have to go over to the store to access the wi-fi. It keeps internet use in it's place. I also cut out movies for a month. I have been feeling much better.

Renae Tolbert said...

I am very proud of you!! I thought about you a couple times during your week wondering how it was going. I have considered being unplugged for a week as well. Even though I don't have kids to tend to, I have so many other things I 'need' to do, such as make my grandkids scrapbooks, finish a cross stitch I started years ago, read more, pray more, study more, clean more, get out of the house and exercise more, volunteer somewhere, get a job. . . the list goes on. Yesterday, my internet was down. I actually felt relieved. I went to the library, checked my email and in 15 minutes, was done. Why then, do I spend HOURS and sometimes the entire DAY sitting at my computer!?? Thanks for your blog about your week unplugged. I think it has greatly encouraged me.
Thanks Tara!!

george edwin smith said...

Well, actually, you ARE important to us, but once a week updates are great. I think we ALL are a bit to addicted: I should follow your advice as well. Maybe I'd get the garage cleaning done!

Danna said...

Good for you Tara! I need to do the same and focus more on being a mother and teaching my child. I don't spend nearly the time on my computer now that I have a blackberry, but it can become very addicting too!