Friday, June 3, 2011

homemade refried beans

I made crockpot burritos tonight ... but before I could make them I needed to make refried beans - so at 7 this morning I rinsed my beans, boiled them and then turned off and let them soak for 4 hours. At 11am I rinsed them and set them back on the stove to boil for about an hour. Around 3 this afternoon, using the recipe my mom gave to me from a good friend of hers, I finely chopped strips of corn tortilla, chopped some onion and 2 garlic cloves and sauteed them until soft in some olive oil on the stove ...
added the beans w/ some of the reserved water from the beans, mashed them and then added a lot of salt until they no longer tasted bland and still I could have added a little more!
When I was finished I had enough to put in my crockpot burritos (which were cooked for 2 hours on high each wrapped in foil (note to self: tortillas are soggy when cooked this way ... must put in oven and/or broiler for a few minutes before serving). They were very tasty - kids LOVED them! I ALSO had enough to put aside for lunch tomorrow or Sunday AND I froze some too!






No comments: